Monday, January 2, 2017

Ask Alex: Homework

Dear Alex,
I have put under a lot of stress this year.  My homework load is crazy, I’m having problems at home, and I’m getting a job soon.  I’ve done all I can, but I’m still sleep deprived and have a hard time relaxing.  Any suggestions?

Dear Writer,
I’m sorry to hear that you are having a rough time this year.  High school can be a stressful time and it is easy to get swept into a whirlwind of family, friends, work, school, clubs, sports, etc.  But in the midst of this whirlwind it is important to keep your own well being a priority.  Doing little things for yourself can help you stay calm and relaxed which makes it a little easier to fall asleep. Try listening to your favorite music when you feel like the weight of the world is toppling on your shoulders.  Research shows that listening to soothing music can improve anxiety. Deep breathing can also lower your heart rate and stress levels; taking just a five minute break can help you unwind when you’re feeling overwhelmed. Most importantly, try reaching out to others. Whether it’s a parent, a teacher, or a close friend, I encourage you to share how you’re feeling instead of bottling it all up inside. I hope things improve in your life in school and at home, and I’m sure these problems will all settle down when the stress of high school is over.

Best wishes,

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment