Wednesday, March 30, 2022

The Gardner's Insight Column by Gavin Prumatico

Spring is Here


Spring is here, can’t you smell it in the air? The first day of spring was March 20th, and the day before that, I got a lot of work done with all of my garden work. This November, I got a bunch of Tulip bulbs that I started in my grow tent. Almost every single one of the Tulip bulbs sprouted and my brother and I planted them in my garden. A few weeks ago I got Iris bulbs and planted all of those in front of my greenhouse in my garden as well. 


Some Spring Flowers that should be blooming in the next few weeks are Snowdrops, Primrose, Hyacinth, Tulips, and many more! On my walks around Blairstown, I have seen Snowdrops blooming around the area and Hyacinths getting ready to bloom. Around Easter, stores like Home Depot should be selling spring flowers. If you missed your chance to get the bulbs started last year then you can purchase them this year to have nice beautiful flowers in your yard. As a result of buying them from a big-box store, the blooming Hyacinths will cost a lot more than the bulbs that were not started in November.


During spring, I am going to make and sell spring flower arrangements. I will be selling these flower arrangements and many other products starting around Easter. This Easter I am going to sell homemade chapstick, starter plants, and so much more. I also sell homemade wreaths that have different arrangements depending on the season. Last but not least I also sell farm fresh chicken eggs that you can taste the difference in compared to the eggs that come from the grocery store.


Last but not least, in a few weeks around Mother’s Day I have to plant 300+ flower bulbs. As you can see, spring is a very busy season both with my garden and FFA. Hopefully, I have or will inspire you to start a garden and start producing food for your own family. Once you taste vegetables from a garden you won’t ever want to go to the grocery store again. Especially when the produce is organic with no pesticides.

For those of you who garden or want to learn more about gardening, I have a Facebook garden group. The name of the group is “Gavin’s Garden Group” if you would like to join. In this group, I post content including my flowers and vegetables I grow. I also post pictures of my progress of a variety of plants throughout the season. Hopefully, I see you guys join, even if you just want to browse the beautiful photos. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment