Tuesday, November 21, 2017

from The Diary of a 2017 Marching Band Member: NWR’s Big Win

By: Sam Liegner

I stood with my 13 other seniors at my side, waiting for our category’s score. When they announced Group 3 Open’s rankings, my best friend grabbed my hand. We stood there, awaiting the scores with anticipation. Third place was given to the band to our right. I heard a sigh of relief from my peers. Second place was up next. Our biggest competitors stood to our left. My best friend and I squeezed each other’s hands as hard as we could, eyes pinched closed. The announcer spoke out the high school’s name that placed second. It was not ours. My jaw dropped and I was at a loss for words.

“Did we just win?”

I looked over at my instructor and band director and they were glowing. Then I looked over to the band. There were so many mixed emotions. People were trying to hold in tears and others were letting their emotions take over and accepted the tears flowing down their faces. At that moment, I knew that all those long, dragging hours of practice were worth it. The blood, sweat, and tears all paid off in the end, all the nights that we stayed late to practice, the times Mr. Z roasted someone in front of the entire band. Everything paid off the minute we stepped on that field. Everything from that moment on was magical. Eyes with pride, NWRMB.




No comments:

Post a Comment